UPDATE 12/6/07 – Who knew a post about Advent and Christmas songs would be a top Google hit? Not me! So for those of you looking for, you know, the WORDS to these songs, try the 1982 Episcopal Church Hymnal. Also please to be seeing companion post Advent and Christmas Songs I F’n Love
Just for the record:
- Lo, How a Rose E’er Blooming: I hate this song with the passion of a thousand firey suns. It sucks so hard that the gravitational pull of the earth increases by a significant fraction at the locus of the congregation that is singing it.
- The First Noel: This song has never, no never, no never been sung properly in a group of more than two people. It’s those stupid tied note slides, is what it is. You want to drag those puppies out and the song has to keep a fairly brisk pace to sound right.
- Lo, He Comes With Clouds Descending: Oooh, icky. I hate the melody. I hate anything that throws you unsuspecting into the stratosphere, though, because I feel it shifts my voice into somethng that’s not pretty (although all my choir directors feel otherwise).
- Love Came Down at Christmas: :P. And you can quote me on that. It’s like Hallmark bribed the 1982 editors.
- Away in a Manger: I’d rather have dental surgery without anaesthetic than sing this song. It’s glurge-ariffic and espouses being a good little kidlet for your mommy and daddy and not whining and doing as you’re told NO MATTER WHAT and that makes me want to puke.
- Once in David’s Royal City: No, thank you. I’d rather sing Away in a Manger.
- In the Bleak Midwinter: Dude. I grew up in CALIFORNIA. I don’t know from frosty winds. Well, I didn’t until I moved to Oregon. BUT ANYWAY– Stupid song. Stupid lyrics. I hate it. Make it go away now, kthxbai.